Share the Tools for BestHeartHospital

Congratulations!  Your accredited hospital is now considered a “Best Heart Hospital.” Not only is it listed, but it is also easy to locate with the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care' free BestHeartHospital app that can be downloaded to Apple and Android devices. In addition, a map of all SCPC accredited facilities is available on the website. These tools can help you save a life because if a patient is having a heart attack or in the early stages, it can help them seek the care they need.

Increasing the Survival Rate with Technology and Processes

Chest Pain Centers (CPC), such as the one within your hospital, are prepared to treat the full spectrum of patients presenting with heart attack symptoms and the possible complications. However, CPCs came into existence in order to catch the heart attack in the early stages. Early diagnosis is possible because more than 50% of patients with heart attacks experience the mild chest symptoms hours and even days before they crash and require urgent care. 

Long ago, the attitude that existed in emergency rooms took on a “Get out of my emergency room unless you have real (severe) pain.” The acronym “GOMER” was given to this attitude. This was because hospitals were afraid of having too many patients with chest pain come into the emergency room and obstructing the “urgent” care patients. Keeping patients with milder chest symptoms out of the hospital was a way of accomplishing this. We focused on the crashing heart attack patients. These were patients with complete acute occlusion of one of their coronary arteries. They presented with an EKG showing “tomb stone” elevation of their ST segments. These patients needed to be treated immediately to have their completely blocked vessel opened. Time was of the essence. Time lost meant heart muscle destroyed.  Thus, we waited for the coronary vessel to block completely off before we started the meter of heart attack care. How foolish we were! How unintelligent to start heart attack care late , when we knew from over 100 years of medical literature that heart attacks had “beginnings” in over 50% of the patients that allowed a  physician to intervene and prevent damage or death.

To make use of this new level of heart attack care, SCPC developed a strategy to overcome the expected crowding in the emergency room when too many patients with mild chest symptoms presented. A pathway was designed that was able to sort out such patients and which delivered life-saving and cost effective care.  15% of the patients turned out to have positive evidence for an early heart attack and the other 85% could be safely sent home within 24 hours. Thus the stage was set for teaching the public about the early warning symptoms of a heart attack and encouraging patients  to come into the hospital that has a CPC.

The community outreach can be enhanced by providing an educational course on Early Heart Attack Care (EHAC) to the hospital employees with a Chest Pain Center. SCPC offers such a course and it is called the Deputy Heart Attack Program. It is an easy way to share the information within the hospital community as well as the public about the value of coming into a hospital early in order to treat a potential heart attack. In so doing, the identification of your hospital as a “Best Heart Hospital” becomes part of the overall strategy to significantly reduce heart attack deaths and help to remove it as the number one killer of the adult population in the United States.  Utilize all of the technology and tools that the Society develops in order to help us save lives!

Once again, congratulations on becoming a Best Heart Hospital!

Best of Luck in Saving A Life,
Raymond D.Bahr MD

Dr. Raymond Bahr's Articles & Videos

Dr. Raymond Bahr writes articles about the EHAC movement. He has also done several videos that outline the importance of Early Heart Attack Care.

Meet the Deputy Heart Attack Founder

Dr. Raymond Bahr

Dr. Raymond Bahr is passionate about cardiac care and preventive education. As the founding father of the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care (now ACC Accreditation Services), his passion to disseminate lifesaving information is a driving force behind the Deputy Heart Attack Program. Throughout his career, he has created multiple programs to help others understand the life saving measures that can save a life. In 1981 at St. Agnes Hospital, Dr. Bahr established the Chest Pain Emergency Department (CPED), the first such unit in the world. The initial purpose of this CPED was prompt and effective treatment of patients presenting with heart attack/sudden death. The CPED was coupled with an aggressive education program that taught the community the early warning signs of a heart attack. This education program extended to middle and high school students via health and science curricula.